SEVEN STEPS TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY
1. Protect all computers, cell phones, and other electronics that have any internet access with filtering and accountability software. Keep these devices in public areas of the house such as kitchens and living rooms, and limit the time they can be used. Teens are better off without the internet on their phones.
* Computers - Use accountability and filtering software such as www.CovenantEyes.com,
for computers, laptops and cell phones. They have software for iPhones, iPod Touches
and Windows Mobile 6 cell phones and PDAs. Also, www.x3watch.com has
accountability software for Android phones, iPhones and iPod Touches, Video Game
Systems and Electronics with Wireless Internet Access – be very cautious with video
game systems and other electronics that have access to the internet such as X-Box,
Playstation,Wii, iPods, PDAs, etc.
2. Have monthly discussions about love and sexuality with new and encouraging Catholic resources. Inspiring Catholic books, CDs, and websites about love and intimacy have exploded in the last 5-10 years thanks to positive teachings about sex and marriage from the Theology of the Body (TOB). Parents are encouraged to spend time with their children on a monthly basis with age appropriate TOB resources. Jason & Crystalina Evert and TOBforTeens.com have great resources for children 12 years old and up. Christopher
West, Mary Shivanandan, Carl Anderson and Dr. Janet Smith have great resources for older teens and adults.
3. Monitor all social networking sites (Facebook, My Space, xanga.com, etc.), and know all user names and passwords to email, social networking sites, and every site that requires a user name and password for your children / teens. Frequently monitor their email and social networking sites.
4. Create a joyful and encouraging atmosphere for your family. Have family dinners, gatherings and vacations together. Be encouraging to your children and teens. Affirm your children often and build them up through praying as a family and spending time together!
5. Secure television & satellite radio and use Christian movie review websites to screen movies. Block all “adult” or “mature” content on TV, as well as other channels that have inappropriate content. Movie review sites such as www.usccb.org/movies and www.PluggedInOnline.com provide a detailed review of movies including a written summary of any nudity and sexually inappropriate content. These reviews are great to read before watching movies, and can help people find family friendly movies.
Satellite radio - Family friendly packages are available without pornographic content.
6. Get to know the parents of your children / teen’s friends, and make sure that they are protecting their family from pornography.
7. Prayer: Encourage all family members to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation monthly, and go to Mass as a family each Sunday. Foster devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Joseph. Eucharistic Adoration and Mass during the week are tremendous blessings as well!