Examination of Conscience
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
- Do I give God time every day in prayer?
- Do I seek to love Him with my whole heart?
- Have I been involved with superstitious practices or have I been involved with
- Do I seek to surrender myself to God's Word as taught by the Church?
- Have I ever deliberately told a lie in Confession or have I withheld a mortal sin
from the priest in confession?
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Have I used God's name in vain: lightly or carelessly?
- Have I been angry with God?
- Have I wished evil upon any other person?
- Have I insulted a sacred person or abused a sacred object?
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
- Have I deliberately missed Mass on Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation?
- Have I not kept Sunday as a family day and a day of rest?
- Do I do needless work on Sunday?
- Do I make others work on Sunday?
4. Honor your father and your mother.
- Do I honor and obey my parents?
- Have I neglected my duties to my spouse and children?
- Have I given my family good religious example?
- Do I try to bring peace into my home life?
- Do I care for my aged and infirm relatives?
- Do I respect elders?
- Do I respect my pastor, bishop, and the Pope?
5. You shall not kill.
- Have I had an abortion or encouraged anyone to have an abortion?
- Have I physically harmed anyone?
- Have I abused alcohol or drugs?
- Did I give scandal to anyone, thereby leading them into sin?
- Have I been angry or resentful?
- Have I harbored hatred in my heart?
- Have I been sterilized for reasons of birth control?
- Have I encouraged or condoned sterilization?
6. You shall not commit adultery.
- Have I been faithful to my marriage vows in thought and action?
- Have I engaged in any sexual activity before marriage or outside of marriage?
- Have I used any method of contraception or artificial birth control?
- Has each sexual act in my marriage been open to the transmission of new life?
- Have I respected all members of the opposite sex, or have I thought of other
people as objects?
- Have I been guilty of any homosexual activity?
- Do I seek to be pure in my thoughts, words and actions?
- Am I careful to dress modestly, so as not to tempt others?
- Have I been guilty of masturbation with myself?
7. You shall not steal
- Have I stolen what is not mine?
- Have I returned or made restitution for what I have stolen?
- Do I waste time at work, school or at home?
- Do I gamble excessively, thereby denying my family of their needs?
- Do I pay my debts promptly?
- Do I seek to share what I have with the poor?
8. You shall not bear false witness
- Have I lied?
- Have I gossiped?
- Have I harmed someone's reputation?
- Have I spoken behind someone else's back?
- Am I critical, negative, or uncharitable in my thoughts of others?
- Do I keep secret what should be kept confidential?
9. You shall not desire your neighbor's wife.
- Have I consented to impure thoughts?
- Have I caused them by impure television, movies, books, magazines or internet?
- Do I pray at once to banish impure thoughts and temptations?
- Do I listen to, or engage in, impure conversations or jokes?
10. You shall not desire your neighbor's goods.
- Am I jealous of what other people have?
- Do I envy other people's families or possessions?
- Am I greedy or selfish?
- Are material possessions the purpose of my life?
- Do I trust that God will care for all of my material and spiritual need?